5) Dan Kendra - Bethlehem Catholic: Kendra was the end all be all of QB recruits. Was rated #1 QB recruit by many "experts". After redshirting, Kendra was a backup QB for 2 seasons. After blowing out his ACL, he was switched to fullback. Many remember that Kenrda gave his verbal to JoePa only to turn around and switch. Kendra didn't even have the balls to call PSU and tell them himself about the switch...his dad called Ganter for him.
"Everybody can say what they want about how terrible it was that he changed his mind," says the elder Kendra. "We don't care. Where Dan goes to college doesn't affect the Penn State fan for the rest of his life. But it does affect Dan. He's the only one who matters." Thanks for going to FSU Dan.
4) Jeff Smoker - Manheim Central: Smoker was a HS All-America and rated #3 QB in his class. PSU really wanted Smoker. When it came down to it, JoePa said he was going to take 2 QBs that year...whoever except the offers first would get the spots. Zach Mills and Zac Wasserman (was also a top 5 QB from Cali) both jumped at the chance to play for Paterno. Smoker waited and selected Michigan State. After a brilliant start to his career, Jeff battled substance abuse and never full realized his potential. He Bounced around both the NFL and AFL.
3) Ron Powlus - Berwick High School: #1 rated HS QB in the Country. Everyone wanted a piece of the Pennsylvania golden boy. Ron choose to take his talents to Notre Dame
where he went on to win 3 Heisman Trophy's. Powlus was the can't miss prospect with all the tools to succeed. He was predicted to become a legend...and fell WAY short.
2) Chad Henne- Wilson West Lawn: Henne was a top 3 QB coming out of Wilson, the same HS that produced PSU great Kerry Collins. PA Gatorade Player of the Year. Everyone thought Henne was a lock for PSU, but a change of heart had Henne heading to Michigan. All was not lost...PSU was able to land the number 4 rated QB from Pittsburgh, PA...Henne went on to have a solid career at Michigan and although he was 1-3 in bowl games; Chad proved to be the better of the two Pennsylvania QBs from 2004. Henne was a 2nd round draft pick of the Miami Dolphins and is getting ready to take over the team in 2010.
1) Terrelle Pryor- Jeannette High School: Pryor was the end all be all for PSU. USA Today Player of the Year. Number 1 rated QB. Army All-American. Pryor let his dance card get filled up before finally selecting Ohio State. At first, PSU was devasted...however Pryor's selection set off a chain of events that will shape PSU football for years to come. After a long battle with Pat Devlin, Daryll Clarkemerges at the starter for Penn State. Pat Devlin transfers opening up the door for top prospect Kevin Newsome. Top rated 2010 QB commits to PSU and Penn State is also in the running for top Dual Threat Robert Bolden. So...thanks Terrelle
1a) Dan Marino - Central Catholic: Marino was from a part of PA that produced nothing but great QBs. Unfortunately Dan choose to go to Pitt. PSU fans don't forget that easily. Marino slipped in the famed 1983 draft because of rumors of his cocaine use while at Pitt. However, Marino went on to become one of the greatest QBs in NFL history...he also had some of the best hair this side of the Mississippi
1b) Jim Kelly - East Brady High School: Penn State went after Jim Kelly big time. However, JoePa wanted to make Kelly a LB and he did not seem to warm up to that idea. Kelly went on to a great career at Miami and the NFL. I wouldn't say Kelly got away, it was a matter of preference between the position he wanted and what Joe wanted.
1c) Jeff Hostetler - Conemaugh Township: The Hos didn't get away...we actually had him. Jeff battled Todd Blackledge for the starting spot and(had it and then eventually) lost it. Hostetler felt he wasn't getting a fair chance and he eventually transfered to West Virginia and went on to have a decent pro career. JoePa switched both of his brothers from QB to LB during their careers at PSU. Hostetler did have one good thing going for him...the stache...
1d) Pat Devlin - Downingtown East: Devlin is PA's all time leading passer. PSU fans were very excited to have Pat in the mix after he bolted from his Miami commit. Pat had all the tools...running, throwing, mind...Pat had to sit in watch QB14 go through the motions before locking into a battle with soon to be Penn State legend Daryll Clark. Clark won the battle and Devlin was again the backup. Pat did come in the Ohio State game and score what ended up being the winning score. However, Devlin went the Hostetler route and left for a
starting position greener pastures. Much like Pryor, Devlin's departure opened the door for Newsome, Jones, and with hope Bolden.
Bonus points to anyone who thought Devlin was touched by an angel during the OSU game when he should have been picked off...he obviously had some help on his side....his right arm is now blessed...
Some Pennslyvania QB's, that it would have been nice to have, looking back:
Major Harris- Brashear:
Johnny Unitas - St. Justins:
George Blanda - Youngwood
Matt Ryan - William Penn Charter
Dan Marino - Central Catholic
Jm Kelly (QB verison) - East Brady
Joe Montana - Ringgold
Joe Nameth - Beaver Falls
You created a Fanpost! Any content from a premium site that requires a subscription will be deleted once we catch wind of it. If you simply want to share a link, quote, or video, please consider using Fanshots instead. Thanks.