Best case scenario for Pitt:
They offer the job to Kirk Ferentz. Really, he makes perfect sense for them.
1) Pitt demands a "Pittsburgh guy" because many of the people involved out there have something of an inferiority complex. Ferentz went to high school at Upper Saint Clair. He was also an assistant on Pitt's staff for one year (1980).
2) Pitt's fans want Pitt to run an offense that is either a) an exact copy of the Steeler offense or b) Something that looks like a pro-style offense (Whatever that is). Ferentz does, in fact, like something that looks like a pro-style offense (Whatever that is).
3) Ferentz isn't a sissy outsider like that sissy boy Walt Harris.
4) Ferentz has recruited several players (Such as Ed Hinkel and Bob Sanders) from Western Pennsylvania in his time at Iowa.
5) Did I mention that he's from the 'Burgh, yinz guys? One of us!
6) Ferentz is actually sort of a good coach.
Ferentz accepts the job for reasons I can't possibly fathom and wins seven out of ten Big East championships over a ten year period. He does not get blown out by Utah. He is, however, "owned" by some random Big East school. Syracuse, I guess.
What's probably actually going to happen:
Pitt hires Jon Gruden.