Here are some notes on todays 24-0 victory by the Penn State Nittany Lions over the Kent State Golden Flashes.
- Box Score
- Penn State had 382 yards of offense. 220 passing and 162 rushing
- Kent State had 228 yards of offense. 170 passing and 58 rushing.
- Penn State converted on 10-of-16 third down conversions.
- Kent State converted 4-of-14 third down conversions.
- Robert Bolden completed 17-of-27 passes for 217 yards, 1 TD, and 2 INT.
- Evan Royster had 38 yards and 1 TD on 11 carries. Stephfon Green had 59 yards on 11 carries.
Notes from Joe Paterno's Post Game Press Conference
- Overall Paterno seemed pleased in their play. Said they have made improvements in some areas and went a little bit backwards in other areas. Overall he thinks they will be a good team, but they have a lot of work to do.
- When asked why Royster didn't see much playing time in the second half Joe said they wanted to get the younger players Stephfon Green and Silas Redd some experience. Joe gave a cryptic answer about Green having to show he's durable when asked if his performance earned him more carries going forward.
- Joe said Bolden "did not have a particularly good game." But it does not sound like they are considering giving Kevin Newsome more playing time.
- Pete Massaro and Sean Stanley got the start because Jack Crawford and Eric Latimore were banged up a bit. Crawford was sent back in when Kent State ripped off the 32 yard run to the outside to sure things up. Joe had a lot of praise for Massaro but thinks Stanley needs to be more aggressive.
- Joe was pleased that the secondary got a few interceptions, but said there are still some things they need to improve on.
- Drew Astorino's shoulder is bothering him and he sat out of practice a few days this week. Hence his limited playing time.
- Joe was not pleased with the offensive line in the first half and challenged them to blow people off the ball in the second half.