Joe Paterno addressed the media in Tampa one final time for the 2010 season on Sunday morning, and Lions 24/7 has the transcript of the event. Here are some of the highlights.
- Called the season "rewarding" though acknowledged the team had moments where he thought it was disappointing. Cited the team's youth and inexperience at some positions, notably quarterback, for some of the struggles.
- Chaz Powell had a "problem" during the Outback Bowl that kept him out. Paterno chose to comment no further.
- Expressed disappointment with his quarterbacks' play at times this season, but on the whole, believed they had a good year given their experience. Also noted that in hindsight, he wishes he had played Robert Bolden a little bit more, but on the whole, believes the situation was handled appropriately.
- Said the team spent a lot of time on the kicking game and was upset that the block in the Outback Bowl happened despite it all.
- On the Outback Bowl experience: "I thought overall, yesterday was a good experience. The practice sessions were good experiences that I think will help us for next year. How much? It depends on whether the leadership comes in the winter program and spring practice. I don't know whether we've made some progress."
Has Tim Curley or Dr. Spanier at any point inquired about the possibility of a succession [No.] like they had at Florida [No.] State [No.] or anything like that.
"No. OK? Geez."
- Says Penn State needs better depth at some positions, but didn't want to comment on which ones for
- Believes Penn State might have one or two juniors leave for the NFL.
- In regards to how Penn State handles players accepting benefits as they did at Ohio State, Paterno says players sign a sheet with the rules and that that is as far as the coaches pursue things. Believes there has to be an element of trust in the situation.
On Ohio State:
I don't even know what the Ohio State kids are being blamed for. The only I think I know about is they're blaming Pryor for getting tattoos."
In exchange for a tattoo they give them an autographed whatever, football…
"Ah, for God's sakes. Maybe we'll get [Dave] Jonesy tattooed, right across [the face]."
- Believes the defense wasn't as good as it could have been, but noted the defense's injuries throughout much of the year as a reason things might have been disappointing.
- Hopes Nick Sukay will be ready for spring practice.
- Stephfon Green injured his ankle in the Outback Bowl.
- Talked about some of the obstacles with the schedule, facing Alabama, Iowa and Ohio State on the road and Michigan and Ohio State with open dates before playing Penn State and believed they were difficult to deal with considering how young the team before expressing disappointment with the Illinois loss.