1. Nothing was done to protect or find out who that kid was.
2. Nothing happened to Sandusky for another 9 years and we are assuming there were other molestations since then.
3. Paterno was fired and his legacy in ruins.
4. The PSU brand was severely tarnished and may take years for it to recover.
5. McQueary was released from his dream job, probably is done as a coach at any major level for at least the time being, maybe permantly. He has been called a coward, idiot or even a "co-conspirator" who was given a job in return for his silence NATIONALLY.
All this because McQueary choose to report something (correctly, mind you) he thought was wrong to his bosses. He could have said nothing, but didn't. Now his life is ruined and others non-victims who had nothing to do with what that monster did had their ruined as well. Was it worth it?