Big Body Visit. Three-star offensive lineman Brendan Mahon from Randolph, New Jersey will be on campus this weekend. Mahon isn't the highly-rated prospect that Christian Hackenberg and Adam Breneman are, but he is a top interior lineman in the country. He has stated that he doesn't intend to commit after this trip, and that he wants to take other visits, but I wouldn't be shocked if Mahon ends up being No. 5 for Penn State this recruiting year.
Danny O'Brien Update. As Devon brought to you from yesterday's Pro Day, Coach Bill O'Brien acknowledged that there is mutual interest between Penn State and the soon-to-be-former Maryland quarterback. With two years of immediate eligibility (as long as he can find a graduate program he likes that UMD doesn't offer), O'Brien would come in and immediately give Penn State a proven threat at quarterback. The downside is that O'Brien (The Younger) will miss all of spring ball and would have to learn a lot in short order.
Position Changes, And Their Effect on Recruiting. Again from Pro Day, a couple of expected moves have some Class of 2013 implications. Bill Belton's move to RB likely means only one premier back will be taken in this class, though the staff would certainly find room for a second if one wanted to come aboard. In the fall of 2013, Silas Redd will be a senior, Curtis Dukes will be in his fifth year of eligibility, and Akeel Lynch will be a sophomore (possibly a redshirt freshman).
Similarly, Dakota Royer's move to the fullback/tight end hybrid known as H-back means that Penn State is certainly done at tight end recruiting for the Class of 2013.
Big Board. As per usual.
Penn State Recruiting Class of 2013 Big Board
Estimated Class Size: 16-22
(Recruits listed in no particular order...yet)
1. Christian Hackenberg (Fork Union (VA)) (Committed: 02/29/2012, Recruited by Charles London)
Others: Damion Terry (Erie Cathedral Prep (PA)), Malik Zaire (Alter (OH))
Notes: IF another QB is taken, that player will likely fill more of a "Athlete" role ala Damion Terry.
Running Backs (1-2)
1. David Williams (West Philadelphia Catholic (PA))
2. Derrick Green (Hermitage (VA))
3. DeVeon Smith (Howland (OH)
4. Ty Isaac (Joliet (IL))
5. Greg Bryant (American Heritage School (FL))
Others: Richie Anderson (Johnson (MD)), Austin Brown (FB) (Easton Area (PA)), DeShawn Coleman (Hickory (PA))
Notes: We could possibly see some movement here after this weekend. Smith is set to visit Michigan this weekend, and the Wolverines are looking to take one more running back this year (with FB/RB Wyatt Shallman already in the fold). Smith and Isaac are top UM targets, and it seems to be a two-man race to that final spot. Whichever one takes it will have trickle-down effect on the other, as well as the other schools vying for their services. If Isaac takes the last spot, it could end up being a PSU vs. OSU battle for Smith.
Maryland's Richie Anderson, son of former PSU running back by the same name, hasn't received a PSU offer yet, but the Lions remain very high on his list ($). His commitment is likely something Penn State can wait for, should the need arise.
Wide Receiver (1-3)
1. Robert Foster (Central Valley (PA))
2. Ryan Switzer (George Washington (WV))
3. Brian Lemelle (Bishop McDevitt (PA))
4. Kyle LaPorte (Piscataway (NJ))
5. Myles Nash (Timber Creek (NJ))
Others: Paul Harris (Frederick Douglass (MD)), Shaquille James (West Philadelphia Catholic (PA)), Laquon Treadwell (Crete-monee (IL)), Delando Johnson (Calvert Hall College (MD)), Uriah LeMay (David W. Butler (NC)), Tyler Boyd (Clairton (PA)), William Fuller (Roman Catholic (PA))
Notes: In our interview with Adam Breneman after his commitment, Breneman named Robert Foster and Ryan Switzer as two guys he was targeting to join him at Penn State. Foster's recruitment has been extremely quiet given his rating (No. 1 wide receiver across all services), while Switzer is getting some additional interest from other schools (including this gem from our old friend, Rich Rodriguez).
Tight End (0-1)
1. Adam Breneman (Cedar Cliff (PA)) (Committed 03/09/2012, Recruited by the ENTIRE STAFF)
Notes: With Dakota Royer's move to the offensive side of the ball, and given the rest of the tight ends already on the roster, I think it's safe to assume this position is closed out. Now it's Breneman's time to put in some work and become the recruiter that many expect him to be.
Offensive Line (2-4)
1. Dorian Johnson (Belle Vernon (PA))
2. Mike McGlinchey (William Penn Charter (PA))
3. Brendon Mahon (Randolph (NJ))
4. Jordan Page (Pennington (NJ))
5. Brad Hanson (Monsignor Donovan (NJ))
Others: Ethan Pocic (Lemont Township (IL)), Jaryd Jones-Smith (West Philadelphia Catholic (PA)), Tommy Hopkins (Westlake (NY)), Hunter Bivin (Apollo (KY))
Notes: As stated, Mahon will be on campus this weekend. After that, this group remains a question mark. Johnson is said to be high on local Pitt, while McGlinchey has been named a target by a couple current Penn State commits.
Defensive Tackle (1-2)
1. Justin Moody (George Washington (PA))
2. Greg Webb (Timber Creek (NJ))
3. Donovan Munger (Shaker Heights (OH))
4. Eddie Vanderdoes (Placer (CA))
5. Donta Wilkins (Potomac (VA))
Others: Rod Crayton (Dadeville (AL)), Henry Poggi (Gilman (MD)), Poet Thomas (Detroit Country Day (MI))
Notes: Not a lot of movement here, at least not a lot towards Penn State.
Defensive End (2-4)
1. Garrett Sickels (Red Bank Regional (NJ) (Committed 03/04/2012, Recruited by Jon Strollo)
2. Jonathan Allen (Stone Bridge (VA))
3. TaShawn Bower (Immaculata (NJ))
4. Dajaun Drennon (Timber Creek (NJ))
5. Wyatt Teller (Liberty (VA))
Others: Curtis Cothran (Council Rock North (PA)), Alquadin Muhammed (Don Bosco Prep (NJ)), Nick Arcidiacono (Archbishop Wood (PA)), Tracy Sprinkle (Elyria (OH))
Notes: Like the DT spot, there isn't much good news here at the moment. But it's a long way until February 2013.
1. Alex Anzalone (Sam LB) (Wyomissing (PA))
2. Michael Deeb (MLB) (American Heritage (FL))
3. Marcus Newby (Quince Orchard (MD))
4. Buddy Brown (Williamstown (NJ))
5. Zayd Issah (Central Dauphin (PA))
Others: Tim Kimbrough (Warren Central (IN)), Ben Gedeon (Hudson (OH)), Jake Plonski (Erie Cathedral Prep (PA)) Micah Kiser (Gilman (MD))
Notes: Alex Anzalone was on campus last weekend, and we caught up with him afterwards. It was a good trip, but I don't think Alex is planning on committing anytime soon. He has visits all over the country planned, despite being a top target of Adam Breneman.
Defensive Back (3-4)
1. Ross Douglas (CB) (Avon (OH)) (Committed 02/29/2012, Recruited by Stan Hixon)
2. Kendall Fuller (CB) (Good Counsel (MD))
3. Eli Woodard (CB) (Eastern (NJ))
4. Darian Hicks (CB) (Solon (OH))
5. Nadir Barnwell (CB) (Piscataway (NJ))
6. Kirk Garner (S) (Good Counsel (MD))
Others: Tim Harris (S) (Stone Bridge (VA)), Delando Johnson (S) (Calvert Hall College (MD)), Delton Williams (S) (Erie Cathedral Prep (PA)), Reon Dawson (S) (Trotwood-Madison (OH))