As first reported on BSD by CvilleLion in a FanShot, strong safety has replaced ‘Hero’. More than likely, ‘Fritz’ will soon be dead as well – if he isn’t already. I know there will be some lamentations and gnashing of teeth over the loss.
I shrug my shoulders at it. It would be cool to keep the terms, but I'm not pissed. It did get me thinking, though. No doubt if Guido D’Elia were still marketing guru, he probably would have gotten around to a ‘retro day’ at Beaver Stadium. Imagine if the team participated. Here are 10 things I'd like to see make a comeback.
1. Coaches wearing nut-hugger BIKE shorts.
2. Speaking of BIKE - how about the awesome hip pads that flared out at the waist? BIKE made some good gear back in the day.
3. And the half-lenth, un-tuck-able jerseys.....way before co-ed 'midrifs' became vogue.
4. Seeing that pic of Curt Warner reminded me - we need gray facemasks. A definite must on retro day.
5. Gray facemasks? MOAR BULL RING!
6. and moar neck roll, in both the classic round-mule-dong.....
.........and pointy-end shapes.
7. Forearm pads?.....nah. Though Steve Smear makes them work.
8. All kickers report to Spider for new single-bar facemasks.
9. My Google machine came up with this. How in the hell did Blackledge get away with a personalized hand towel? Freaking quarterbacks....
10. If we're bringing back retro uni's, how about some retro trading cards. Who wouldn't want to see Gerald Hodges in a pose like Hammer?
Or Jordan Hill doing the Glenn Ressler?
All of that's in good fun. But noting could compare to this one:
Did I miss any that you want to see?