Aug 6, 2012; University Park, PA, USA; Penn State Nittany Lions head coach Bill O'Brien looks on during practice at the Lasch Football Building practice fields. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-US PRESSWIRE
Game week is here and with it comes an updated depth chart for Saturday's game against Ohio. Coach O'Brien released it this morning with few noticeable surprises.
Some notable observations:
- Maybe the biggest takeaway from the Week 1 depth chart is that Deion Barnes has at least pulled even with Pete Massaro at the starting defensive end position. Barnes has been impressive throughout camp and Massaro is coming off of two knee surgeries. Both will see significant time on Saturday no matter who starts.
- The right tackle position still hasn't been sorted out and Mike Farrell and Adam Gress are still fighting for the starting spot.
- Due to injuries this summer, Jake Fagnano now has the "OR" attached to his name with Stephen Obeng-Agyapong at the safety position. With the secondary already being spread thin, those who are healthy will take on quite a burden this year.
- Allen Robinson is the only established starting wide receiver. Shawney Kersey and true freshman Trevor Williams share the other outside duty while Alex Kenney and last year's starting placekicker Evan Lewis are still fighting for the slot position.
- The kicking game seems to have figured itself out as both the kicker and punter positions only go one-deep. Alex Butterworth and Sam Ficken will attempt to tag-team the success Anthony Fera had at both positions last year.
- Still not kick returners listed. True freshman Akeel Lynch may see some work there as well as Kenney or Lewis.
- As has been mentioned in the past week, Steven Bench has really been coming on at camp and is listed as the backup quarterback along with Paul Jones.
- 13 true freshmen made the depth chart, four of them being wide receivers.
- Finally, Gerald Hodges is 237 pounds. All 12 teams on the schedule might want to get their ice baths ready early.
Follow @BSDtweet on Twitter
And join us on Facebook
All BSD community members should review our current Posting & Commenting Policies before creating any posts or commenting.