- Final score: 67-47. Defense won. The defense is 2-0 under Bill O'Brien (won 77-65 last season).
- Both guys whose names are in the battle for the starting QB position played well, as both Steven Bench and Tyler Ferguson went 9-15. Bench threw for more yards (99 to Ferguson's 90), while Ferguson had one more touchdown (2 to 1).
- Ferguson had perhaps the most impressive drive of the game, running the two minute offense at the end of the second quarter. On the drive, Ferguson went 3-5 for 35 yards, topped off by a 20-yard missile he threw to Jesse James.
- Sticking with the quarterbacks (well, kind of), the defensive line tallied nine sacks: three on Ferguson, two each on Bench, Austin Whipple and DJ Crook.
- One last QB thing: there were two interceptions in the game. Whipple (intercepted by Jonathan Zuk) and Crook (intercepted by Jesse Merise) each threw one.
- The bad news in the backfield was Zach Zwinak hurting his wrist and Bill Belton not playing. The good news, however, is that Deron Thompson, Akeel Lynch and Dom Salamone all had at least 10 rushes and were all very effective.
- With both Kyle Carter and Adam Breneman out, Jesse James stepped up and led the team in both receptions and yards.
- On defense, Austin Johnston and Charles Idemudia led the way with five tackles, while Johnston, Brad Bars and Evan Schwan each had two sacks.
- Other Nittany Lions to get sacks: Albert Hall, Deion Barnes and CJ Olaniyan all had one.
- Trevor Williams, playing in his first game as a defensive player, led the team with two pass break ups and had one tackle.
- On special teams, Sam Ficken 2-3 on PAT's and 0-1 on field goals without his usual holder Ryan Keiser (punter Alex Butterworth was the holder today). He also had one kickoff that he booted for 63 yards.
Quarterbacks -- Steven Bench, 9-15, 99 yds, 1 TD, 3 rush, 0 yds; Tyler Ferguson, 9-15, 90 yds, 2 TD, 5 rush, 11 yds; Austin Whipple, 2-6, 12 yds, 1 INT, 3 rush, 10 yds; DJ Crook, 1-4, -1 yd, 1 INT, 2 rush, 0 yds.
Running Backs -- Deron Thompson, 12 rush, 100 yds, 3 rec, 4 yds; Akeel Lynch, 13 rush, 85 yds, 1 TD; Dom Salamone, 10 rush, 45 yds; Zach Zwinak, 2 rec, 16 yds, 1 rec, 14 yds.
Wide Receivers -- Matt Zanellato, 4 rec, 53 yds, 1 rush, 9 yds; Richy Anderson, 3 rec, 17 yds, 1 TD; Tyler Lucas, 1 rec, 8 yds; Eugene Lewis, 1 rec, 8 yds; Jon Warner, 1 rec, 7 yds, DeShawn Baker, 1 rec, 6 yds; Allen Robinson, 1 rush, 29 yds.
Tight Ends -- Jesse James, 5 rec, 77 yds, 1 TD; Brent Wilkerson, 1 rec, 6 yds, 1 TD.
Team Offense -- 25 first downs, 52 rushes, 225 rushing yards, 40 passes, 200 passing yards, 455 total yards, 1 penalty, 0 penalty yards, 4-18 on 3rd down, 3-4 on 4th down.
Team Defense -- 1 penalty, 15 penalty yards, 2 INT's, 9 sacks for 42 yards, 69 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 7 pass break ups.
Follow @BSDtweet on Twitter
And join us on Facebook
All BSD community members should review our current Posting & Commenting Policies before creating any posts or commenting.