Iowa fans think gingers have no souls. Via www.allenwrestling.com
Stop me if you’ve heard this before: Cael just landed a top national recruit.
Dallas wrestler Bo Nickal, the nation’s second-best redhead behind Chance Marsteller, is the newest Penn Stater. He’s so good, we’ll forgive him if he’s a Cowboys fan. Seriously.
- Ranked #2 in the nation at 170 lb, behind only Marsteller.
- Ranked #6 in the nation pound-for-pound.
- 2x TX state champ, 4x finalist (he wrestled varsity in New Mexico as an 8th grader).
- 140-7 career record.
- 2012 Cadet Triple Crown winner.
- 2x freestyle national champ.
- 2x Preseason Nationals champ.
- 2013 freestyle World Team member.
Style-wise, Nickal is very physical, very in-your-face, very few steps back. Lots of feet-to-back pins. Avoid upper-body ties with him, or else. In short: like a cross between Andrew Alton and Quentin Wright, only aggressive.
His commitment came as somewhat of a surprise. Oklahoma was long considered the favorite – only 3 hrs from his home, and a HS teammate is a Sooner. But this summer Bo received David Taylor’s Unicorn Tour of campus. Who could resist the Unicorn Tour? Not you or me.
Nickal projects at 174/184 for the Lions.
To recap the recruiting class so far (pound-for-pound rankings):
- #1 Chance Marsteller, undefeated 3x PA champ, #1 at 170
- #5 Nick Nevills, 2x CA champ, #1 at 285
- #6 Bo Nickal, 2x TX champ, #2 at 170
- #11 Jason Nolf, 2x PA champ, #2 at 138
Four of the top 11 wrestlers in the country at any weight. This is the stuff dynasties are made of ... if only Cael could coach!
Video: Nickal pins #1 JR Myles Martin (himself a potential 2015 PSU recruit): http://www.flowrestling.org/speaker/9635-Bo-Nickal/video/711647-463-Nickal-Martin-172853
UPDATE: interview with BWI's Tim Owen.