It was a big weekend for many Penn State targets and Penn State commits, as a large number of them participated in either the Nike Football Training Camp in Washington DC or in New Jersey. Many of those same players were standouts at the camps as well, with many of them walking away with MVP honors at their positions. The biggest prize a player can win at these camps however, is an invite to the prestigious four day premier recruiting camp, The Opening. As you have probably seen on twitter or guessed, many of those same players were able to earn that honor. Let's dive in and see what the highlights for Penn State recruiting were from this weekend.
We'll start with the DC camp.
- In case you missed it yesterday, Penn State commit DT Adam McLean (Bethesda, MD) and Penn State target QB Brandon Wimbush (Jersey City, NJ) both interview with Bud Elliot of SB Nation Recruiting. Both were great interviews, and seem like very intelligent kids. Click here to see the videos.
- There were a few familiar names in the positional MVP winners at the DC camp, with Penn State target OL Matt Burrell (Woodbridge, VA) taking the offensive lineman honors, commit Adam McLean taking the defensive tackle honors (over fellow big time DT Tim Settle), and 2016 target CB Levonta Taylor (Virginia Beach, VA) winning the defensive back MVP.
- As far as earning invites to The Opening 2014, there was plenty to see there for Penn State fans as well. Earning offers at the DC camp were OL Matt Burrell, DT Adam McLean, and DT Tim Settle. Former PSU target OG Richie Petitbon (Gonzaga, DC) earned his ticket to Oregon as well.
- LB Kareem McDonald (Washington, DC) was also at the DC camp. Kareem picked up offers from Virginia and Old Dominion this week (Old Dominion really does deserve to get a nice commit one of these days), and you get the sense that his recruitment is getting set to blow up soon. That being said, should Penn State offer (as Kareem believes they will), he will be on #CommitWatch immediately, and will likely commit right then and there. Kareem will be visiting this upcoming weekend along with close friend Adam McLean. I think I might hear some sirens off in the distance...
- Penn State target, DT Tim Settle (Manassas, VA) was also interviewed by Bud Elliot on Saturday. He speaks glowingly of Penn State, and offers some other interesting thoughts as well.
- Finally, the last big piece of news from the DC camp, was QB Brandon Wimbush earning his official invitation to the Elite 11. The Elite 11 is definitely one of the coolest recruiting camps out there, and has a great history of success with its participants. Take it away Brandon.
There was plenty to talk about from the New Jersey camp as well.
- There were plenty of names familiar to Penn State fans who were named positional MVP's on Sunday. Brandon Wimbush at QB, current PSU commit Saquan Barkley (Whitehall, PA) at RB, former Penn State target offensive lineman Tommy Hatton (Montvale, NJ) who won the honors over PSU target Grant Newsome, 2016 5* stud Rashan Gary (Scotch Plains, NJ) won the defensive lineman honors, and CB John Reid (Philadelphia, PA) beat out Alabama commit Minkah Fitzpatrick for defensive back MVP honors.
- There were also plenty of invitations to The Opening 2014 given out on Sunday. Penn State commit WR Juwan Johnson (Glassboro, NJ) was able to earn his. QB Brandon Wimbush, CB John Reid, and TE Chris Clark (Avon, CT) also received invites, as well as OL Tommy Hatton and DB Minkah Fitzpatrick.
- Bud Elliot also made his way up to New Jersey for the camp, and was able to catch up with the aforementioned Juwan Johnson.
- Bud also was able to talk to the first player to commit to the 2015 Nittany Lion recruiting class, S Jarvis Miller (Suffield, CT).
- Penn State commits LB Jake Cooper (Warminster, PA), OL Ryan Bates (Warminster, PA), and DE Ryan Buchholz (Malvern, PA) were all in attendance in New Jersey as well. I'll try to catch up with them to ask about the camp sometime this week.