How James Franklin Finds Time To Breathe Is Beyond Us
As if he weren't a busy enough man with coaching up his current squad, recruiting a shit-ton of future Nittany Lions, and choking up at the podium, shaking hands, and doing the 'number one' pose with everyone at the Coaches Caravan stops, James Franklin has carved out time to deliver a commencement address at his alma mater, East Stroudsburg. As you can expect, Franklin plans to dominate the graduates (per CollegeFootballTalk):
"I’m hoping to grab their attention and say a few things that they’ll remember," Franklin said to The Pocono Record. "I don’t want be one of those guys who stands up there talking who no one’s paying attention to. I’m going to talk to them from the heart and be very open and honest with them. Maybe give them a few things that have been important to me since I’ve left East Stroudsburg and also let everybody know how appreciative I am of what East Stroudsburg has done for me."
Here's Some More Ohio State Paranoia
I don't know about you, but I've noticed a lot of sniping towards Penn State and James Franklin lately from Ohio State fans in the wake of all the great news that has come about PSU football since Franklin's hire was first announced. They all seem to follow the same predictable pattern, too:
- Mention last year's 63-14 beatdown OSU laid upon a PSU team that had about 30 fewer scholarship players available that night (btw, THIS 63-14 beatdown was far more impressive, considering the fact both teams were ranked and had the full allotment of schollies)
- Reference Brady Hoke's hot recruiting start at Michigan and how that hasn't exactly produced championship results on the field for him and then declare James Franklin the second coming of Brady Hoke, because every coach who recruits so well, so soon, will end up like Brady Hoke..
- Make the ludicrous claim that several of PSU's verbals will look elsewhere if Ohio State lays another whipping on Penn State this year (Mike Gesicki says 'hi' btw).
John Urschel Does Grantland
Grantland.com interviewed Urschel a few days before the NFL Draft. Like most Q&A's Ursch has done, this one also showcases his mathematical genius and focuses on his dissertation, but what really caught my eye was this little exchange towards the end:
Some Other Quick Dumps:
- Here's a retrospective on Weezer's debut 'blue' album - 20 years later, song by song
- State College Police have filed charges against the Meridian panty snatcher (THAT'S SO CENTRAL PA)
- The brand new Bahamas Bowl will kickoff on Christmas Eve and pair the MAC and Conference USA.
- Michael Sam was honored with the Arthur Ashe Courage Award (*slow clap*)
- Grantland's oral history of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Lakers and Kings