Re-pack that RV, D.J.: Camping with Kevin Durant apparently didn't whet the appetite of Penn State's leading scorer, so D.J. Newbill will head to the LeBron James Skills Academy on Wednesday to play in front of NBA scouts and learn from the best. One of just 30 collegiate players in attendance, Newbill will join Talor Battle and Tim Frazier as Nittany Lions to have attended this prestigious event. Who knows, he might even be able to convince James to sign for his hometown Sixers:
"Hey LeBron, what do you think about Philadelphia?"
Ok maybe not.
Reaves Redux: If you haven't heard, Penn State snatching commitments from the clutches of the Maryland Terrapins isn't football-exclusive anymore. Pat Chambers added a third man to his 2015 recruiting class in Oak Hill Academy (VA) product Josh Reaves (yes, that Oak Hill). He's the most highly-rated player Penn State has successfully recruited since the early 2000s, and people are starting to take notice of what's happening in Hoopy Valley. At least the computers are, anyway: 247's latest composite class rankings have Penn State 9th nationally. If you've got an ESPN Insider subscription (I'm still mooching off my college roomie's account), human person Adam Finkelstein has a scout's take on Reaves, and great friend of the blog City of Basketball Love has some quotes from the man himself:
"That's the best fit for me, and I feel like I can help build a program to compete at the highest level," Reaves said. "The academics are great, the Big Ten is great, one of the best conferences in the country, and I just want to be part of something that feels like home-and it really does."
- Penn State has the best uniforms in college football, according to NFL.com writer and serial manual retweeter Bryan Fischer.
- #WeAre.....Better x (~1.6 x 10^3)
- The World Cup is over for the USMNT, so I guess it's time to wildly speculate about the 2018 squad (everyone's sleeping on Brek Shea and I won't stand for it).
- Speaking of, read Spencer Hall now, read Spencer Hall tomorrow, read Spencer Hall forever.
- Maryland is looking for a B1G rival, as the Washington Post says, and I gotta be honest - if Randy Edsall keeps laying down gauntlets like this, I'm not one to put the kibosh on something with so much potential.