Joe Paterno was in front of the media on Friday afternoon at Lasch Building for the first time in the 2011 season and he was ready to talk some football. The subject matter was wide ranging. There was talk about injuries. Talk about the defense. Talk about the offense. But, of course, a lot of the spotlight was shed on the quarterback race as Penn State holds yet another open competition for the starting job this spring. For Joe's full comments, head over to the transcript here. If you don't have time for all that, though, here are the important bullets.
Here is video of the beginning of Joe's remarks.
- Joe lamented the fact Penn State hasn't been able to practice outside yet this spring season.
- There is an open competition for the starting quarterback job but Joe says Matthew McGloin and Robert Bolden are ahead of the others in the race.
- There is an expectation that Bolden will return in the fall. Joe says he is looking good and displaying enthusiasm and leadership qualities in the early going.
- There will probably not be a decision on the quarterback job by the end of spring practice.
- Said Kevin Newsome's troubles in the classroom are keeping him out of serious consideration for the job.