In weekend #2 of hockey season, the D1 Women's team started their season on the road, while the Ice Lions looked to continue their strong start to the season.
NCAA D1 Men:
- Weekend Results: Idle
- Standings: 0-0-0
- Notes: Oh, it's been a quiet week.
- Upcoming Schedule: As I mentioned last week, Penn State is opening the Pegula Ice Arena this Friday, hosting the Army Black Knights in the first headliner game at the new rink. And there was nothing that would have caused any confusion over the past 10 days either...
NCAA D1 Women:
- Weekend Results: Penn State - 3 @ Vermont - 3 (OT); Penn State - 4 @ Vermont - 2
- Standings: 1-0-1
- Notes: An exciting weekend set to open the season, to say the least, for the women's varsity team. Both games saw close contests with back-and-forth scoring. On Friday night, the two teams traded goals in the 2nd period, and then again early in the 3rd. With just over 4 minutes left, Vermont took a late 3-2 lead. But Shannon Yoxheimer would not let the Catamounts take advantage of that late goal, scoring just 27 seconds later to re-tie the game. Neither team could break the deadlock in the OT period, ending the game in a 3-3 tie.
On Saturday, Penn State countered every Vermont goal with two of their own. Freshmen Laura Bowman and Kelly Seward led the way, with Bowman scoring 2 goals in the game, and Seward adding her 2nd of the weekend. Hannah Hoenshell's counter punch in the 2nd - an insanely-quick 6 seconds after Vermont scored - gave the ladies the lead they would never look back from. A solid weekend all-around, with Hoenshell and Seward taking home CHA player-of-the-week awards (Offensive Player and Rookie, respectively). Both goalies - Paniccia and Whitlinger - played outstanding in the team's undefeated opening weekend.
- Upcoming Schedule: Looking to extend their unbeaten streak, the ladies are on the road again to take on the Quinnipiac Bobcats, who also opened their season with a 1-0-1 record.
ACHA D2 Ice Lions:
- Weekend Results: St. Joe's - 0 @ Ice Lions - 11; Temple - 3 @ Ice Lions - 4
- Standings: 4-0-0; 2-0-0 MACHA North
- Notes: Friday night was a throwback to the old ACHA thrashings Penn State teams gave out. Ryan Urban scored 40 seconds in, and it was all Ice Lions from there. Abe Edson added a hat trick, and the team spread around another 7 goals to roll to an easy 11-0 win. The next night, the Ice Lions played a much better foe in the Temple Owls. The two teams would trade goals and the lead throughout the game, With Tim Acker and Ryan Urban scoring for Penn State in regulation. A 3rd period goal for Temple pushed the game to OT, where Ryan Dinsmore would give the Ice Lions the 4-3 win.
- Upcoming Schedule: The Ice Lions head on the road to everyone's favorite Kalamazoo, MI to participate in the ACHA Showcase. Three teams are on the slate for Penn State, opening with Southern Illinois-Edwardsville on Friday, Michigan State on Saturday, and Grand Valley State University on Sunday.
ACHA D2 WIHC:
- Weekend Results: Idle
- Standings: 2-0-0
- Notes: Nothing to update, but if their off-weekends are like their game weekends, we can only assume that they were kicking ass during the bye week.
- Upcoming Schedule: The ladies are on the road in two weeks to take on a talented Cal (PA) squad who completely blew out their first two opponents (IUP and Slippery Rock). This will be a great, early test for both teams, who are both in the new CHE league in ACHA WD2.