It's preview time. But we have two announcements first.
1) On Saturday, Rec Hall becomes a basketball place again, when the Lions host Princeton. Eighteen years ago - or so - freshman self sat on the wooden bleachers and watched 280lb Phil Williams set picks for a certain Mister Peter Lisicky, as Pete ran circles around the arc, coming off a series of 32 screens, in order to jack up an off balance 3-pointer. Pete made a ton of those, and Penn State nearly - nearly - went undefeated in the Big Ten that year (95/96). If you didn't catch Ryan Jones' post, or our own Timmy A's, please check them out, before packing Rec Hall one more time for a shootyhoops contest.
Johnni DiJulius knocked off two guys in the top 8 at Cliff Keen this past weekend to win the title at 133. Are you expecting to see him on the podium in March, or were you as surprised as I was?
#3 Nico Megaludis vs. #19 Fr. Nicky Roberts
Nicky is a tough kid, and multiple time PIAA champ, and freestyle wizard, if I'm remembering correctly. But - no.
Line: Nico minus 8
133 LBS - Match of the Meet #1
#11 Jimmy Gulibon vs. #6 So. Johnni DiJulius
So Jimmy gets ridden out by BU's Dane Harlowe, and then can't go against Pitt. If Jimmy is going to do anything this year, he needs to beat DiJulius. And a major wouldn't hurt.
Line: Pick 'Em - no, this line doesn't make sense.
141 LBS - Match of the Meet #2
#8 zPain Retherford vs. #1 Logan Stieber
This is it, right? Logi-bear is a fully certified, 2x National Champion, hammer. Dude beat #1 in the world over the summer in freestyle (...and, he got smoked by Tyler Graff, too - but whatever). zPain has the same, exact style, as Logi-bear. Both guys love to inflict pain with the arm bar series. How does zPain hold up against the champ?
Line: zPain plus 8
Zach Beitz vs. #19 Sr. Ian Paddock
Paddock was the heir apparent - 5 years ago. Blah, blah, blah, here he is as a 6th year senior - and his head is screwed on straight. He's better than his #19 Intermat rank.
Line: Zach plus 4.5
Jim Vollrath vs. Randy Languis
Randy is a scholar. So is Jim - but Jim can wrestle, too.
Line: Jim minus 6
Stretch, fart, drink, eat, take a short nap - do whatever it is that you want, that doesn't involve exercise or cutting weight. You've earned it by reading this far.
#1 Dave Taylor vs. Joe Grandominico
Line: Dave minus 15
#3 Matt Brown vs. Mark Martin
See above. Hulk Hands isn't much different than #1 Howe. HOWEVER - Hulk hasn't enjoyed wrestling long, quick, no-tie-up dudes. And that's Martin to a TEE.
Line: Hulk Hands minus JUST 4.5
#1 Ed mutha f'in RUUUUUUUUUUUUTH (I'm pretty sure Ed's back)
vs. his former childhood friend,
#12 lil' Kenny Courts
I mean - this could be fun. Does Ed lay the smack? Or is Ed just having fun?
#3 Morgan McIntosh vs.
#5 Nick Heflin Probably Kenny Courts. Unless Tom Ryan puts my buddy's buddy's son, Josh Fox, out there.
Who. Knows. Even God may not know the lineup this morning.
#12 Jimmy Lawson vs. Nick Tavanello
Jimmy is 2x better than last year, and I don't care if you weren't happy with his match against Tasser. He's a ton better. Seriously.
Line: Jimmy minus 4.5
This is a tough one, just like last year's dual at OSU. But Dan is right - OSU is sitting 3, maybe 4, starters.
Line: Penn State minus 13
- Great Moments In Rec Hall History
- How'd We Do? BSD Reflects on Our 2013 Preseason Predictions
- Penn State Basketball Return To Rec Hall: Guest Column By Ryan Jones
- 2013-2014 College Football Bowls: BSD's Game-By-Game Guide
- Penn State Basketball Game 11 Recap: Lions Survive Slugfest Against Duquesne, 68-59