It's the last day of the last month without football for the rest of 2014. Take a second to hug the person next to you.
#WeAre Better: By now, you should know that James Franklin picked up the best recruit of his short Penn State tenure in five-star 2016 DE Shane Simmons. We even had a GIF party to celebrate. Pennlive did a follow-up interview with him where he detailed why he chose so early (or late, according to him) in the recruiting process and who he might try to bring along with him to University Park.
Also, if you're thirsty, you can feast on the tears of those at Testudo Times.
An End To The Sanctions?: Some news and opinion on the NCAA sanctions front ahead of George Mitchell's upcoming quarterly report... Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports makes the case for the NCAA to drop the remaining two years of the bowl ban, saying that there's no need to continue punishing the innocent players that had nothing to do with the acts of Jerry Sandusky, his stance being a complete 180 from what he wrote just over two years ago. SBN's SEC blog Team Speed Kills disagrees with just about all of Dodd's updated beliefs. The opinions come on the heels of five Pennsylvania Congressmen asking the NCAA to void the rest of the sanctions against Penn State. I'm sure we'll have more news on this in the coming month or two.
Herb Hand Says Hold Up: Everyone's favorite Penn State representative on Food Network, offensive line coach Herb Hand, made news by announcing that Penn State stopped recruiting a player because of comments he made on social media.
Dropped another prospect this AM due to his social media presence...Actually glad I got to see the 'real' person before we offered him.
— Herb Hand (@CoachHand) July 30, 2014
It gained national attention even though Hand has essentially used his Twitter feed to put out PSAs about what recruits should be doing to look the best to the program's recruiting them. Sorry, unnamed recruit, but you have been Chopped.
- ESPN named Christian Hackenberg the 46th-best college football player in the nation for 2014.
- There's a new downtown eating establishment in State College that is sure to make money on its name alone.
- EDSBS creates a top-25 poll with corgi pictures and OMG PENN STATE HAS CORGI PUPPY ON SOME STAIRS.
- The Solid Verbal did their Big Ten preview show this week.
- For my "fellow" Texans, the USMNT may be coming to San Antonio for a friendly against James and Colombia in September.
- Deadspin said that Yuengling and Shiner Bock are overrated beers so Deadspin can go right ahead and fuck directly off.