This week’s game:
Patriots-Steelers (C. Hogan vs. J. James)
(The NFC Championship contained no former Penn State players)
One of these players gave a solid first half effort, while the other player just balled out.
Jesse James: Finished with five catches for 48 yards.
- His first catch was a seven yard reception gave the Steelers a first down on their second possession.
- James’ second grab was good for six yards and set up DeAngelo Williams’ touchdown run, making it 10-6.
- His third reception was good for 11 yards and another first down.
- His fourth grab went for 18 yards, just missing a touchdown. (The Steelers had to settle for a field goal.)
- James just missed a diving grab for a first down in the third quarter.
- Jesse got back on the stat sheet with his fifth catch (for a six yard gain) late in the fourth quarter.
Chris Hogan: Set a Patriots record with nine catches for 180 yards and two touchdowns
- His first catch was a four yard reception that gave the Patriots a first down on their third possession.
- He made his second catch on the next play for a 27 yard gain.
- Hogan’s third straight catch went for 11 yards and another first down.
- Hogan’s fourth catch of the drive was the 16-yard touchdown that gave the Patriots a 10-0 lead.
- After dropping a pass, Hogan’s fifth reception went for four yards.
- Hogan made a 22 yard catch a play later on third down for his sixth grab.
- Hogan’s seventh reception went for 34 yards and his second touchdown of the first half.
- The former Penn State lacrosse star’s eight catch (and first of the second half) went for 24 yards.
- Hogan’s ninth reception went for 39 yards, and the Patriots scored two plays later to make it 27-9.
- Hogan dropped two more potential touchdowns in the second half.