Jordan Miner Sets Commitment Date
Four-star defensive back Jordan Miner announced on twitter Tuesday night that he will be making his verbal commitment on July 6.
Thanks to @SpecSportsFL I will be announcing my commitment on Tv July 6— Uno (@Jordanminer01) June 27, 2017
Miner made his first visit to Penn State earlier this month, and said that his time in Happy Valley “set the bar” for following visits. Since then, he’s only visited Tennessee, so not surprisingly, it’s expected that Miner will be choosing either the Volunteers or the Nittany Lions in a classic Bob Shoop vs Brent Pry battle. Currently, Penn State leads his 247 Crystal Ball with 62% of the predictions.
At 6-foot-1, 177 pounds, Miner offers the positional versatility that James Franklin loves in the secondary. Just like 2017 signee Tariq Castro-Fields, Miner could end up at cornerback or safety depending upon the team’s needs, so locking him down would be a big coup for Pry’s unit.
- DT PJ Mustipher: Penn State’s top defensive tackle prospect will be back in State College for the annual Lasch Bash on July 15, according to Sean Fitz of Lions247. The Nittany Lions are sitting very, very well here.
- DT Judge Culpepper: Son of Survivor contestant and Florida Gator great Brad Culpepper, Judge will be back at Penn State for a two-day visit from July 12-13, according to 247Sports. The three-star Florida big man last visited Happy Valley on April 8.
- OT Rasheed Walker: The Nittany Lions will also have its top offensive tackle prospect back on campus this summer, according to Sean Fitz ($*).
(*Editor’s Note: Buy a Lions247 subscription.)
The Opening Taking Place This Weekend
Reminder that Nike’s “The Opening” camp is being held this week into the weekend. You can see the roster in its entirety here, but Penn State will be represented by commits RB Ricky Slade JR and WR Justin Shorter (TE Zack Kuntz earned an invite but won’t be attending). If Shorter performs as well as he did at the New Jersey Nike camp, there’s a pretty good shot he’ll earn that coveted fifth star.
Other targets of note:
- QB Devin Leary: Penn State has yet to offer, but it could circle back around to him sometime this summer or fall.
- QB Justin Fields: Just saying, but he’ll be on the same team as Slade and Shorter, just saying.
- WR Solomon Enis: Despite being a legacy, might be a tough pull from Arizona. Luckily, doesn’t seem in a rush to make a decision.
- OT Rasheed Walker: The idea of a Asiedu/Walker tackle tandem makes me tingly.
- DE Micah Parsons: Will be working out as a linebacker. Will probably do something crazy athletic.
- DE KJ Henry: Has stated in the past that he wants to visit Happy Valley.
- DT PJ Mustipher: Addressed above.
- DT Tyreke Smith: Ohio State lean, but the Lions continue to stay in the picture.
- LB Jack Lamb: Both his parents are Penn State graduates. Probably a Penn State-UCLA battle.
- CB Houston Griffith: Florida State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame have all taken turns as leaders for Griffith. Should be back to State College for a visit this fall.