The early signing period was very good for PSU. Noah Cain surprisingly picked PSU over Texas in a decision that quite literally came down to the final few minutes before his announcement. In addition, we locked up Adisa Isaac who announced his commitment shortly before signing day, and ultimately held on to all of our other commits, including John Dunmore who was being pursued heavily by Miami. All hail Coach Seider!
As for negatives, unfortunately, Zach Harrison went elsewhere (not surprising despite my "lock" pick a few months ago). Jakai Moore decided to stay closer to home and sign with South Carolina, Emery Simmons de-committed and signed with North Carolina. Trevor Keegan signed with Michigan. None of these are devastating losses, but it definitely would have been nice to lock in one of those big offensive linemen for this class.
Below is a summary of our current class, followed by an overall big board. As you'll note, we're a little thin at WR, OL, and DL, and those positions will likely be the focus of the staff from now until Signing Day (Feb. 6).
Class of 2019 SIGNEES (18, current composite rank 10th nationally)
QB Ta'Quan Roberson (4*)
QB Michael Johnson, Jr. (4*)
RB Devyn Ford (4*)
RB Noah Cain (4*)
WR John Dunmore (4*)
TE Brenton Strange (4*)
OL Caedan Wallce (4*)
OL Saleem Wormley - (4*)
OL Anthony Whigan - (4* JUCO)
DL Adisa Isaac (4*)
DL D'Von Ellies (4*)
DL Hakeem Beamon (4*)
DL Smith Vilbert (3*)
LB Brandon Smith (5*)
LB Lance Dixon (4*)
DB Tyler Rudolph (4*)
DB Marquis Wilson (4*)
DB Keaton Ellis (4*)
DB Jaquan Brisker - JUCO (3*)
DB Joey Porter Jr. (4*)
Remaining Target Big Board (3-5 additional commits expected)
1. DT D'Von Ellies (4*) - Leaders are PSU and OSU. 100% crystal balls to PSU. - Committed!
2. DT Jared Harrison-Hunte (3*)- Leaders are PSU and OSU. 100% crystal balls to PSU.
3. OL Doug Nester (4*) - Currently committed to OSU, but did not sign his LOI. He visited PSU shortly before signing day.
4. DE Smith Vilbert (3*)- 89% crystal balls to PSU. - Committed!
5. DT Jaquaze Sorrells (4*) - Will be visiting sometime in January, but South Carolina is the leader in his recruitment.
6. OL Jonathan Allen (3*) - Currently favoring Cincy and Indiana, but maybe we can make a late push.
7. OL Dawand Jones (3*) - Massive 6'8 300+ lbs prospect with a basketball background. Late-riser in the rankings with a flood of offers leading up to signing day. Crystal balls now trending to OSU. USC also in the mix.
WR David Bell (4*) - Committed to Purdue.
WR Arjei Henderson (4*) - Committed to Florida.
10. ATH Mark-Antony Richards - Noah Cain's commitment likely shut the door on Richards unless he wants to play Wide Receiver or DB.
Others to watch:
WR TJ Jones (3*) - offered; Florida prospect and #49 overall WR
WR Demariyon Houston (4*) - offered; Oklahoma prospect and #37 overall WR
ATH/WR Devonta Lee (4*) - #6 ATH, recently offered; heavy LSU lean.
WR Stanley King (3*), 6'5, 175lbs - not yet offered; Camden, NJ prospect; crystal balls favor BTPR.
2020 Board Coming Soon.....