- Michigan (Last Week: 1) - The still undefeated Wolverines notched a school record 17th consecutive win last night in an 80-60 pasting of Northwestern. Their only game this week is a road trip to Madison to take on a Wisconsin team that has been shaky as of late.
- Michigan State (2) - Much like their rivals in Ann Arbor, Sparty continues to chug along, dispatching Purdue and Penn State last week.
- Maryland (5) - With a pair of wins over Minnesota on the road and Indiana at home, the Terps are suddenly staking claim to being the best team in the Big Ten outside of the state of Michigan. Star forward Bruno Fernando’s 25 points and 13 rebounds helped spark a furious second half rally to defeat Indiana.
- Indiana (3) - The Hoosiers followed up a road loss at Michigan by blowing a second half lead at Maryland, starting a two-game losing skid. The Hoosiers have a home date with Nebraska tonight (Monday) before going to West Lafayette this coming Saturday to take on their bitter rivals at Purdue.
- Minnesota (6) - The Gophers bounced back from losing to Maryland to deliver a beatdown of Rutgers. Having won seven of their last eight games, they are certainly trending in the right direction. Even better, they face bottom-feeders Illinois and Penn State this week.
- Purdue (8) - Carsen Edwards’ 36 points helped lift the Boilers to a clutch overtime win on the road at Wisconsin. They get a tune-up game against Rutgers (which may not be as much of a tune-up as once seen) before hosting their arch-rivals Indiana this weekend.
- Wisconsin (7) - The Badgers were unable to use their win at Penn State as a springboard, losing a tough one in overtime at home to Purdue.
- Iowa (9) - The Hawkeyes are riding a three game winning streak after 10-point wins over Northwestern and Ohio State. That streak will very likely extend to four on Wednesday night when they take on Penn State.
- Ohio State (4) - The Buckeyes are now on a three game losing skid, which was exacerbated by getting upset at Rutgers. Things don’t get any easier for Chris Holtmann’s crew with a surging Maryland squad coming to Columbus this week.
- Nebraska (10) - After taking care of business at home against Penn State, the Huskers now face their most challenging week yet, going on the road to play Indiana tonight and then hosting Michigan State on Thursday. A win against either team would help immensely with their NCAA Tournament hopes.
- Northwestern (11) - After back-to-back double digit losses to Iowa and Michigan, the Wildcats now must head on the road to face an improving Rutgers squad this coming Friday night. Have fun with that, Chris Collins!
- Rutgers (13) - Rutgers coach Steve Pikiell notched his first victory over a ranked opponent by beating Ohio State at home, 64-61. For that alone, they are getting bumped ahead of...
- Penn State (12) - As I stated last week, if either Rutgers or Illinois would win a game and PSU (predictably) remained winless in conference play, that I would bump them ahead of PSU. As you can see, I am a man of my word.
- Illinois (14) - Well, kudos I guess, to the Illini for only losing by 10 points at home to Michigan?
Both Michigan schools are your clear front-runners at the moment.
By Tim Aydin