clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Big Ten Preview - Week 9

New, 56 comments

Time to shake up the top 25

Photo by Robin Alam/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

A handful of games this week will shake up the top 25, as well as change the shape of the Big Ten’s division races. Let’s see what we’ve got for week nine! I’ll be making weekly picks straight up, so read on, make your own picks, and see if you know better than me!

#13 Wisconsin (6-1, 3-1 Big Ten) at #3 Ohio State (7-0, 4-0)

Columbus, OH

Saturday, October 26th, 12:00 PM

Line: OSU -14.5

This game has lost some of its luster after Wisconsin inexplicably lost to Illinois, but make no mistake - this game has both conference and national implications. With another loss, Wisconsin could win out and still not make the B1G conference championship game, so long as Minnesota stays one game ahead of them. Conversely, if Wisconsin wins, it puts Penn State in the driver’s seat for the East. What fun!

Ohio State 28, Wisconsin 21

#20 Iowa (5-2, 2-2) at Northwestern (1-5, 0-4)

Evanston, IL

Saturday, October 26th, 12:00 PM

Line: IOWA -10

Leave it to Northwestern to lull everyone into a false sense of security, then rattle of six straight wins to make a bowl game. Not so fast my friend! The mighty Ferentz won’t have any of it!

Iowa 27, Northwestern 10

Illinois (3-4, 1-3) at Purdue (2-5, 1-3)

West Lafayette, IN

Saturday, October 26th, 12:00 PM

Line: PUR -10

Just a week ago and I’d have said this would be a slap fight, but Illinois pulled off the biggest upset of the season, and Purdue has got some fight in it despite losing some key players. This one should be fun to watch.

Purdue 28, Illinois 24

Liberty (5-2) at Rutgers (1-6)

Piscataway, NJ

Saturday, October 26th, 12:00 PM

Line: LIB -7.5

Liberty is favored over Rutgers. I say again, Liberty is favored over Rutgers.

Liberty 35, Rutgers 24

Maryland (3-4, 1-3) at #17 Minnesota (7-0, 4-0)

Minneapolis, MN

Saturday, October 26th, 3:30 PM

Line: MIN -16.5

Here we go Gophers, here we go! I’m frankly tired of Wisconsin being the de facto West representative for the B1G conference championship game before the season even starts. Would love to see Minnesota make it, so long as they do so with at least one loss to Penn State on their record.

Minnesota 42, Maryland 24

Indiana (5-2, 2-2) at Nebraska (4-3, 2-2)

Lincoln, NE

Saturday, October 26th, 3:30 PM

Line: NEB -2

Nebraska is just a 2 point favorite at home over Indiana, and a playoff contender should never have that happen to them. As it is, I’m going with the Hoosiers, who have sneakily put together a very solid 2019 season.

Indiana 28, Nebraska 24

#8 Notre Dame (5-1) at #19 Michigan (5-2)

Ann Arbor, MI

Saturday, October 26th, 7:30 PM

Line: ND -1

Through their first six games, Michigan just appeared to be in shambles, especially on offense. Yet heading into the Penn State game, they had just one loss to their name, and then played their best game of the season in the White Out. I like the Wolverines to take down the Irish, putting the kibosh on Notre Dame making it back to the playoffs again.

Michigan 35, Notre Dame 27

Bye Week

No one

For the first time since the beginning of the season, every Big Ten team is playing this weekend! Hooray football!

Illinois stunning Wisconsin ruined my perfect week, but since I’m all about #chaos, I’m not sweating it.

Week 8: 4-1

Season: 49-6

So, who ya got in week nine?