clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Blessed & Honored: 7/9/2019

New, comments

The summer recruiting whirlwind continues for Penn State

NCAA Football: Penn State Blue-White Game Matthew O’Haren-USA TODAY Sports

PENN STATE COMMITS/TARGETS AT THE OPENING

This past week, the world of college football recruiting was dominated by The Opening Finals in Dallas. At the collection of the best high school football players in the country Penn State was well represented by both commits and targets.

Five members of Penn State’s 2020 recruiting class took place in the festivities in Dallas. They were linebacker Curtis Jacobs, defensive back Enzo Jennings, offensive linemen Golden Israel-Achumba and Olu Fashanu, and wide receiver Parker Washington, who committed while in Dallas.

Jacobs had a strong week as he continued to make his case for being a top 50 player.

Both Washington and Fashanu garnered praise throughout the week as well. This including Brandon Huffman of 247 Sports putting Fashanu is his ‘next 3’ offensive linemen on day one. You can read more about Fashanu’s performance here.

It would not be a surprise to see all three players receive a ratings bump after their performances in Dallas.

One Nittany Lion target that shined in Dallas was tight end Theo Johnson. As Greg Biggins of 247 Sports breaks down, Johnson had the best testing numbers of any tight end at the event running a 4.63 second 40-yard dash, 4.28 second shuttle, and posting a 35 inch vertical jump. Those are some insane numbers for a 6-foot-6, 224 pound tight end. He also led the tight end group in receptions, and was second in touchdown catches.

Johnson made his case for being the best tight end prospect in the country. Right now, the Nittany Lions control his 247 Sports Crystal Ball owning 75% of the predictions with the other 25% being cloudy. Johnson is a dynamic play maker at the tight end position, and could be the next in what is becoming a long line of top notch tight ends in Happy Valley.

It was also a good week for Florida running back Caziah Holmes. He posted a 4.51 second 40-yard dash, 4.10 second shuttle, his vertical jump was 40 inches, and his 115.89 SPARQ score was among the 30 best at The Opening.

Holmes, like Johnson, is a player that the Nittany Lions are the heavy favorites for on the 247 Crystal Ball. Holmes will announce his top 7 on Tuesday evening, and plans to announce his college decision August 9.

Top wide receiver target KeAndre Lambert also competed at The Opening. Lambert posted a 4.50 second 40-yard dash and a 3.83 second shuttle. This shuttle time would have been good for the third best at the NFL Combine since 2006. His 127.89 SPARQ score was in the top 99th percentile. Folks, that’s good.

There are few receivers in the country as physically gifted as Lambert. After an official visit to Happy Valley last month the Nittany Lions appears to be surging in his recruitment. Adding him to the wide receiver group would be a huge boost to the 2020 class.

ANTON HARRISON TOP 5/COMMITMENT PLANS

Four-star Washington D.C. offensive lineman Anton Harrison released his top 5 last Tuesday. This group included the Nittany Lions.

Additionally, Harrison stated he plans to announce his commitment at the Under Armour All-American Game in January. Harrison has been on campus multiple times in the last calendar year. This includes a visit last month.

At times in his recruitment there have been questions surrounding if Harrison would have a spot in Penn State’s class or not. With the offensive line de-commits that Penn State suffered in June, as well as Josh Fryar choosing Ohio State over Penn State, Harrison would appear to have a spot in the Nittany Lion recruiting class if he wants it.

NEW OFFER

Last Wednesday, Penn State extended an offer to in state prospect Nicholas Singleton.

Singleton attends Governor Miffilin High School in Reading, and is shaping up to be one of the top prospects in the region for 2022. Singleton camped for the staff earlier this summer before earning his offer. He was also one of just a handful of underclassmen to get invited to The Opening Finals last week. Singleton is definitely a name to remember moving forward.