Can the Nittany Lions right the ship against a dangerous Golden Gopher squad?Game Time: 8:00 pm @ Williams Arena Watch: BTN Network Stream: (Audio) Lionvision
Your Nittany Lions travel to the "Land of 1,000 lakes", to take on a Minnesota team that has notched key conference victories over Ohio State, Northwestern and Michigan in the friendly confines of "The Barn". The Gophers sport an 8-1 overall home record at Williams Arena and they will be looking to scrawl a notch on their holster Wednesday evening. Even on the road, Minnesota has proven formidable, nearly breaking Purdue’s stranglehold over Big Ten teams at Mackie by pushing the Boilers into double overtime before eventually fading and losing by five points. So who are Minnesota’s key players and how have they gotten it done at home?
I believe you have to start with the Minnesota big man, Daniel Oturu. The 6 foot-ten inch 245 pound sophomore has been named the Big Ten player of the Week for the second time this season. He poured in 30 points against Michigan and shot a very efficient 72.2 percent, from the field. I compiled his conference stats for home games and here is what I came up with.
- He is averaging 36.7 minutes of playing time, 5 offensive and 7 defensive rebounds per game
- He is averaging 21 points, 4.3 turnovers, 2.3 blocks and 2.7 personal fouls
- He is shooting 10 from 11 from the free throw line or 90.9%
- The only time that Oturu was in foul trouble was against Ohio State, where he picked up four personal fouls.
- He is averaging 39.3 minutes played - the kid doesn’t come out
- He’s shooting 22/41 from the field averaging 53.6%.
- 3 point field goals are 5/13 for 38.5% : Free throw percentage 24/37 for 88.9%
- Assist to turnover ratio is stratospheric at 3.25 (26/8)
- 24.3 points per conference contest at home
Penn State really needs to steal this road win and Minnesota will not be easy prey for the Nittany Lions.