BSD’s recruiting staff sat down for a roundtable on each prospect Penn State signed in the 2021 class. Coming in at No. 14 was three-star LB Kobe King.
What makes you excited about Kobe King?
“Kobe King is a thumper. I think a lot of people will be a bit wary of his size and stature, especially seeing some of the struggles that Ellis Brooks has in 2020, but King isn’t exactly the same. He ran a 4.57 20-yard shuttle and works through the wash to get to the ball very well. He’s still going to be strictly an inside guy at the next level, but he could be a multi-year starter and a solid player at the heart of the Penn State defense.” --Clay
What worries you about Kobe King?
“One thing I really value in linebackers is the athleticism and ability to play multiple positions. Kobe, however, is a MIKE all the way, and there are concerns about his athleticism and ability to play MIKE in the Big Ten.” --Marty
Do you think Kobe King will be redshirted next season? Around what point of his career do you think he pushes for meaningful playing time?
“King is likely a Mike at the next level, and with Penn State having Ellis Brooks, Jesse Luketa, and Tyler Elsdon all capable of playing the Mike, it would be quite surprising to see King breakthrough. King is pretty physically developed, coming in at 236 pounds on a compact 6-foot-0 frame, so it wouldn’t be shocking to see King get some run on special teams. But anything more than four games would surprise me. Likely redshirt.” --Patrick
*What do you think is the most realistic outcome for Kobe King: depth provider, starter, multi-year starter, all-conference, or all-american?
Marty: Depth provider
Patrick: Depth provider
Lastly, where do you have Kobe King ranked in Penn State’s class?
For reference, since I know the question is coming:
- All-American = makes national all-america lists; (Saquon Barkley, Micah Parsons, etc.)
- All-Conference = makes 1st or 2nd team all-conference lists; (Chris Godwin, Anthony Zettel, etc.)
- Multi-year starter = full-time starter for multiple seasons; (Shareef Miller, Garrett Taylor, etc.)
- Starter = full-time starter for one season; (Nick Scott, Christian Campbell, etc.)
- Depth provider = someone who was never a full-time starter; (Tyrell Chavis, DeAndre Thompkins, etc.)