Mark your calendars, Penn State hoops fans: November 10th will be Micah Shrewsberry’s debut as head coach when the Nittany Lions open their regular season at home against the Youngstown State Penguins, according to CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein.
Source: Penn State will open the Micah Shrewsberry era on November 10th in State College against Youngstown State.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) June 23, 2021
The Penguins finished 15-12 overall last season, including a 9-11 record in Horizon League play, before being eliminated in the conference tournament’s quarterfinal against Oakland. This was good enough for a final KenPom ranking of 246th.
With this news combined with the announcement earlier this week that PSU would host St. Francis (NY) and face LSU down in Florida for the Emerald Classic , the current non-conference slate looks like this:
- Youngstown State (season opener)
- St. Francis (NY) (Emerald Classic home game)
- LSU (Emerald Classic first game)
- Oregon/Wake Forest (Emerald Classic second game)
- at VCU (return game after hosting last year)
- at UMass (PSU to host in 2022)
- at Seton Hall (return game after hosting last year)
- Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Big East opponent (Gavitt Games)
- A pair of yet-to-be-announced “buy games”
As always, we will keep you posted as scheduling updates are announced.